Translate

Monday, March 6, 2017

Reply to Mattappally and Chackochan


(Note: This is a reply I had to write in response to what Jose Mattappally and Chackochan Kalarikal, well-known Malayalam writer, Detroit, wrote in Almayablog(Malayalam) about the latest sex scandal of Fr. Robin Vadakkanchril, alias Mathew Vadakkanchil, 48, making headlines in Kerala and rocking the Syromalab Church. James kottor)

Dear Mattappally and Chackochan,

You both have all my heartfelt sympathies. After long struggle, study and search or research, I think I have found the answer to the Syromalabar Headache, which I wrote several times and proclaimed it publicly three years ago when I was forced to speak publicly to a Knanaya community meeting in the Syromalabar Cathedral Hall in Chicago, where Chackochan Kalarical from Detroit was another very, very important speaker (I think he should have been the Keynote speaker) who came all the way for that purpose from Detroit.

Sri Joy Oravana and Jose Kallidukkil were the main organisers. The only crime I committed to get invited as the Keynote Speaker, (and I was an Ignorant idiot about all the complicated ugly details of the pureblood marriage etc., about that later) was that I wrote a letter Cardinal Allencherry, at the request of a Knanaya group in Chicago.

This group opposed to pure blood marriage practice was terribly upset about something Cardinal Alancherry said in Chicago promising all help from Rome to get Endogamy practice in Chicago go on smoothly. This news came printed in Knana news bulletin in US and this group wanted Cardinal to correct it. If they wrote, the Cardinal may not answer, they said, so they wanted me by all means to write as a middle man or messenger. I said I may not get an answer either. Earlier I had written a series of letters, the last one signed by 18 prominent lay people in Kerala, to start a friendly vertical dialogue within the Church, Syromalabar Hierarchy and laity, and I had failed miserably. But in the case of Knanaya people’s complaint, I got the reply by return post.
The substance of Cardinal’s letter was: “Don’t worry james. When you come back we shall discuss it.” So I had to write back again to Alancherry saying the problem was not mine, as I am not a Knana, but theirs and I wrote to him giving their names and addresses, saying if he does not write to them a satisfactory letter they were bent on organizing the protest meet. Alancherry did not answser that letter. Result? They organised the protest meet, invited Bishop Angadiath as the Keynote Speaker, he refused, then they invited his vicar general, he also refused. Then the whole battalion came upon me urging to become the KEY, and Joy Oravana told Bishop Angadiath, Kottoor was going to be the speaker. Angadiath replied: “It is like inviting Pulikunnel to speak.” That is how became the “Keynote Speaker.”

Do you know which is the most incorrigible church among the some 5000 or more divided churches in the world? For me it is the Zero, I mean the Syromalabar Church(SMC). So in my speech I said: Ambedkar once said: “I was born a Hindu but I shall not die a Hindu” as he converted to Buddhism later. Imitating him I said: “By no fault of mine I happened to be born in the
Syromalabar Church, but I shall not die in it. Nor am I a member of any organised churches because divided and fighting churches are like Pharisee and publican praying in the temple. Does any of the divided churches admit that it is second to another? None! Each, including the Catholic Church says, “I am better than all the rest.” So I see all as Pharisees and I don’t want to be with any of them. I am only a very distant, the last in the line if you will, follower of the Man from Galilee called Jesus.

As for Cardinal Alancherry (my best friend and enemy and I love him with a vengeance because Jesus wants me to love my enemies} my fervent humble request to him, is to follow the magnificent example of Pope Benedict XVI, to retire and go, go, go!” to confine himself to prayer for the conversions “of us sinners”.

That is how I got rid of the Syromalabar hadache. The SMC is busy 24 hours in their fund raising programme, to build 50 crores churches in all major cities in India and in all wealthy nations of the world (Africa excluded) in their adventure called “Religious colonisation” to promote their Rite (Syro or Zero as you like it, for me it is Zero). So my suggestion is never give a penny when they come for any collection, tithe or whatever. You give directly to the poor around you.

Secondly raise the war cry: “Moratorium for building new Churches!” Why? Jesus never built any churches to preach nor did he stay in any confort zone called Rectory. He found his listeners in the market place, in dusty streets, on hill tops, on fishing boats, that is, where people lived and worked

Jesus didnot even have a postal address because he hoped to live only 3 years. Out bishops want to live to a hundred years in the comfort zones of their Aramanas, palances etc. When disciples asked him once, (apparently in an effort to tempt or entice him) pointing their finger at the Jerusalem temple which took 40 years to build they said; “Look master how huge. marvellous and spectacular are the stones with which it is built etc.” Then Jesus replied; “Not a stone upon a stone will be left.” That is what is going to happen to all the Concrete marvels the Syro (SMC) church building in cities in India, in USA, Australia, UK, Middle East etc. To preach the Good News what you need to do in today’s internet world of globalization is to be constantly where the people are, on the Face Book, Twitter, Whatsup, Linkdin, Email. But every where you will have to ask and answer questions. That is what Jesus did -- speaking, asking questions and answering the people.

An awful lot to write on this topic. Jesus never started a new religion, never instituted the present hierarchical priesthood (Read Mat.23, after saying all those nasty things against high priests like Cardinals, do you think he became one among them?) If he did, he was following the American policy: “If you can’t beat him join him!” Did he become one of the High priests whom he called: “Hypocrites, whitewashed sepulchres, brood of Vipers?”

So I beg your permission to stop here. If you all decide to become just followers – near or distant -- of the Carpenter of Nazareth, all these problems of problem priests, sexy priests, fund raising priests etc will come to a sudden halt. Just think of it at least! I have chosen my path prayerfully. You don’t have to
follow me, as I believe; I am an ignorant Idiot of many things, who is sure of only one thing: “Yes the only thing I know for certain is that I do not know and that applies to things in this world and in the next.” This is in spite of my constant effort to learn as much as possible from my 18th year. I don’t know if I succeeded.

And I think, all the hierarchical high priests are pontificating about other worldly things which they know nothing of. Life is a mystery and a little while more I will be with you and a little while, you will see or hear me no more. Only too happy to go wishing you God’s blessings, if there is a God to bless. james
*******************

No comments:

Post a Comment