Translate

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Heat is Within Us


(From 'Smart Plus', published in Indian Thoughts)

In November 1993, I was appointed an observer of the Election Commission for the Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections. The duty was in Mandi District. I had to go there three times. For going there I used to fly to Kullu from Delhi and then drive by road. The first visit was a short one, during my second visit I toured the Mandi District extensively as it was during the polling period. The third visit was during the period of counting towards the end of November. Since no trouble was expected during counting, I decided to stay at Manali for a day during the last visit. Being the end of November, the place had become quite cold by that time. There was one more officer staying at Manali, who was also an observer of the Commission.
I was alone during this visit and it was quite cold. After a walk about the town, I returned to the Circuit House in the evening and took to reading. After dinner, I had a long chat with the other officer who had been a keen student of History. He told me several things which I was eager to know. Thereafter I went to sleep. By that time, it had become very cold. In the inspection houses of Himachal Pradesh, quite thick quilts are provided in addition to blankets. They are also maintained well particularly those in the VIP rooms. I am normally not in the habit of using a room-heater during winters as I cannot sleep while the heater is on. Since good quilts were provided, I went to bed after putting off the heater and had a very sound sleep. As usual I woke up in the morning at about 6.00 a.m.
While waiting for bed-tea, a feeling of gratitude towards the quilt came to my mind which kept me warm in such a cold weather. Also came to my mind the scientific analysis of this warmth. I thought about the source of the heat and arrived at the conclusion that it was my own body’s heat which had kept me warm. The quilt provided the warmth by merely stopping it from dissipating. It had no role except that of an insulator. From this I derived a very important lesson in life. I thought that if just by insulating the body, I could keep my body warm in such a cold weather; it should be possible to face any adverse situation in life by insulating myself from it. However insulations may be of different types. At times we may have to insulate from bad company, bad thoughts, worldly pleasures and similar other things. The idea is to convey that the potential to face any situation lies within us only.  External supports are only tools and if we can use them properly, we can face all situations. In a nutshell, we can say that the heat is within us, we have to protect it from dissipating.

മത  സൌഹാര്‍ദ്ദം ലോകമാസകലം സാധ്യമാവാന്‍ പോന്ന നിരവധി പ്രവര്‍ത്തനങ്ങള്‍ കബീര്‍ പിസ് ഫൌന്ടെഷനിലൂടെ നടത്തുന്ന ശ്രി രാകേഷ് കുമാര്‍ മിട്ടല്‍ IAS (Lucknow), positive living നെപ്പറ്റി ഏറെ ഗ്രന്ഥങ്ങള്‍ രചിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ട്. ചിന്തിപ്പിക്കുന്നതും ഉത്തെജിപ്പിക്കുന്നതുമായ നിരവധി ലേഖനങ്ങള്‍ അദ്ദേഹം 'Indian Thoughts'  ലൂടെ എഴുതുന്നു. അദ്ദേഹത്തിന്‍റെ മറ്റു ലേഖനങ്ങള്‍ വായിക്കുവാന്‍ ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക്     ചെയ്യുക. 


1 comment:

  1. മനുഷ്യശരീരത്തില്‍നിന്നും ചൂട് സ്വയം ഉത്ഭാതിപ്പിക്കാറുണ്ട്. രക്തയോട്ടമാണ് കാരണം. ആരോഗ്യമുള്ള ശരീരത്തില്‍നിന്നും അതിന്‍റെ അളവുകോലുകള്‍ കൂടും. മാനസ്സിക പ്രവര്‍ത്തനങ്ങളെക്കാള്‍ കൂടുതലും ഇതു ശാരീരിക പ്രവര്‍ത്തനങ്ങളാണ്. ആ ചൂടുകള്‍ പുറത്തു പോകാതെ ഖുല്‍റ്റുകള്‍ സൂക്ഷിച്ചുകൊള്ളും. അങ്ങനെ ഉറക്കം സുഖകരമാവുകയും ചെയ്യും.

    തണുപ്പുരാജ്യങ്ങളില്‍ ജീവിക്കുന്നവര്‍ അതിശൈത്യം ആണെങ്കില്‍ ബ്ലാങ്കറ്റുകള്‍, ഖുല്‍റ്റുകള്‍ മതിയാവുകയില്ല. തെര്‍മ്മോസ്ടാറ്റുകള്‍ ഒരു മുറിക്കാവശ്യമായ ചൂടിനെ നിയന്ത്രിക്കും. പുറമെയുള്ള ചൂടും ശരീരത്തിനു ആവശ്യമായി വരും.

    നല്ല ഉറക്കം ആഗ്രഹിക്കുന്നവര്‍ തണുപ്പുകാലങ്ങളില്‍പ്പോലും അധികചൂടില്‍ ഉറങ്ങുന്നതും നന്നല്ല. അതിശൈത്യവും
    അപകടം തന്നെയാണ്.

    ഖുല്‍ററ് നമ്മുടെ ഉറ്റ സുഹൃത്താണെന്നതില്‍ സംശയമില്ല. ദുഃഖംവരുമ്പോള്‍ ആരുംകാണാതെ നമ്മെ ഒട്ടിപിടിച്ചു മനസ്സിന് ആശ്വാസംനല്‍കും. സന്തോഷത്തിലും ഒപ്പം ഒട്ടിയിരുന്നു കൂട്ടിരിക്കും. വിരഹദുഖം അനുഭവിക്കുന്നവര്‍ക്കും രാത്രികാലങ്ങളില്‍ ഖുല്‍റ്റു മനസ്സിന് ഊര്‍ജം കൊടുക്കാറുണ്ട്.

    പകല്‍ സമയങ്ങളില്‍ ഓഫീസുകളിലെ തിരക്കിലും മാനസ്സിക സമ്മര്‍ദ്ദങ്ങളിലും പിരിമുറുകിയ മനസ്സിനെ രാത്രികാലങ്ങളില്‍ ശാന്തമാക്കുന്നതും ഖുല്‍റ്റുതന്നെ. പ്രശ്നങ്ങള്‍ ഉള്ള ഭാര്യയില്‍ അല്ലെങ്കില്‍
    ഭര്‍ത്താവില്‍നിന്നും രക്ഷപ്പെടുവാനും ഖുല്‍റ്റു
    ഉറ്റചെങ്ങാതിയാണ്.

    ചുരുക്കത്തില്‍ നല്ല മാനസ്സികവൈദ്യനായും ഖുല്‍റ്റു ഒപ്പംകാണും. അങ്ങനെ ഏകാന്തത അനുഭവപ്പെടുമ്പോള്‍,ദുഖിതനാവുമ്പോള്‍ ഖുല്‍റ്റിനുള്ളില്‍ പുതച്ചുകിടന്നാല്‍ കിട്ടുന്ന
    മാനസ്സികസുഖം ഏറെയാണ്‌. ജീവിതം എവിടെയാണെങ്കിലും എന്തു വിഷമഘട്ടങ്ങളിലും
    സമ്മര്‍ദത്തിലും വിദൂരയാത്രയിലും ഖുല്‍റ്റു ഒപ്പത്തിനൊപ്പം പിരിയാതെ മനസ്സിന്‍റെ താളപ്പിഴകള്‍ക്ക് ആശ്വാസംനല്‍കും.

    കുസൃതി കുഞ്ഞുങ്ങള്‍ക്ക്‌ ഖുല്‍റ്റു പുതച്ചു തറയില്‍ ഉരുളുവാനും രസം തന്നെ. മുത്തശിയുമൊത്ത് സൂപര്‍മാന്‍ ടെലിവിഷന്‍ കാണുമ്പോള്‍ ഖുല്‍റ്റില്‍ ആയാല്‍ മുത്തശിക്കും കൊച്ചുമകനൊപ്പം മനസ്സിന് ഒന്നുപോലെ കുളിര്‍മ്മ കൊടുക്കുന്നു.

    ഘോരമായ മഴക്കാലങ്ങളില്‍ ഇടിയും മിന്നലുമുള്ളപ്പോള്‍ ഖുല്‍റ്റിനകത്തുള്ള ജീവിതവും അതിനുള്ളിലെ സമാധാനവും എഴുതി അറിയിക്കുവാനും പ്രയാസം. ആരുംകാണാതെ പൊട്ടികരയുന്നതിനുംഅതിനുള്ളില്‍ ആശ്വാസം നല്കാന്‍ ഖുല്‍റ്റു ഉണ്ട്. ഒപ്പം സുഖനിദ്രക്കു മനസ്സിനെയും ശരീരത്തെയും ക്രമീകരിച്ച ചൂടും നല്‍കും.

    ReplyDelete